Saturday, October 17, 2015

Beer Part 2: My Personal Opinion on Beer Quality

Ok.  Part 2 of my who knows how many part series on Beer.   I want to state quickly that nothing I say should really be taken too seriously.  I don't know that much about beer.  I'm just some dude who drinks it and likes to talk a lot.

First, let's recap real quick about "Beer Part 1."  I think that the U.S. has better beer than Germany.  Ok.  Good recap.

I'd even say more than Belgium beer.  They seem to specialize in really strong beers.  For them an 8% alcohol beer is about normal.  I'm used to 5-6%.  That's just me though.  I still like their beer.  Except for their Sour Beer.  I could put a spike in bad beer for Belgium when it comes to Sour Beer.  I tried a sip of it, and that was enough for me.  But I haven't liked sour things so much since I had way to many sour skittles one time.  

You see, I'm not a big beer connoisseur, but I enjoy the variety that we get in the U.S.  And I like that in the liquor stores you can often buy beer from all over the U.S.  I threw a few beers into a graph according to my personal opinion: 


The U.S. has a wide spread on the quality axis, and we do have somewhat of a specialty in the shitty beer arena.   

Maybe I was being a bit generous with Budweiser.  

Maybe not generous enough with Leffe Brune.  

I threw in some Minnesota beers at the top (whoop whoop!).  A good Trappist beer from Belgium is always awesome.  

I kept the German beers in the good vicinity.  

I put Guinness in the great category [1].  Partially cause you can always count on an Irish Pub having a great atmosphere.

Yes I did put Alt above Kölsch.  I prefer Alt to Kölsch beer.  If anyone from Köln wants prove to me that Kölsch is better than Alt then I welcome them to buy me beer :)  I'll keep an open mind.

There happens to be a bit or a rivalry between Köln and Düsseldorf.  Everyone from Düsseldorf seems to like Alt beer, and everyone from Köln seems to like Kölsch.  Ok.  That's pretty normal, you tend to appreciate beers where you are from.  I can get behind that.  But the strange thing is this.  They won't even serve Alt beer in Köln or Kölsch in Düsseldorf.  So I like to go into bars in Köln and ask for an Alt beer, just to mess with them.  

Side Stories that may or may not be relevant to anything:
  1. We toured the Guinness factory when we were in Dublin.  It was a good time.  The Guinness stew was absolutely to die for.  And of course the Guinness at the end of the tour was delicious as it always is.  I think it was even better in Dublin.  Especially after we learned how to properly drink it and observe it.  Did you know that it's a dark ruby red color not just black?  Apparently it takes really keen eyes cause I can't really tell.  It was a good tour... it may have been even better if we could drink the Guinness while we were doing the tour.  This video with Conan is a pretty good and funny depiction of what it was like: 









No comments:

Post a Comment