Monday, March 30, 2015

How to become a problem solver... create problems for yourself: Ski Trips with the Schwandt's

Guest Post by Tom Schwandt.  My comments in blue.
Hello followers of Brian’s Blog!  I have the honor of being a guest writer on Brian’s blog, I will try to write clearly, descriptively, and hope to stay on topic much better than Brian does when he writes blog posts, and that shouldn’t be too hard.  If you are new to Brian’s blog, welcome!  His blog about his time in Germany, if you come to learn something about a different culture, you’re out of luck, here it seems you will find out about just every random thought that goes through Brian’s mind such as inefficient double doors and stroopwaffles, which I find somewhat educational, let’s get started..
The past week we all spent the week in Montana snowskiing at Big Sky (our uncle is nice enough to let us stay at his condo).  Kevin (brother), Megan (girlfriend, not mine Kevin’s), Ryan (friend), Brian and I.  The story starts like any other, we were enjoying a relaxing vacation, the weather was warm, in fact Big Sky had never had so little snow, we were enjoying catching up with Brian.  Now, if you’ve ever been on a Schwandt Ski trip you would know this, but I’m convinced that if there is a Schwandt along… something bad will happen automobile related, it’s just the reality.*

Anyways, the weather was warm, the snow was not very good, it’s been one of the worst winters for Montana skiing in 25 years.  Instead  of paying for an expensive lift ticket, we decided to do some hiking and snow shoeing at a place called Beehive Basin (it’s free, you park, hike up and ski down).  SO, the five of us head out that day, and hike up and ski down once, it was a fun time.
Day 2, We all head up to Big Sky, the snow is still sub par.  Kevin and Megan decide that they will ski the day, Brian doesn’t really want to and I have a season pass at Big Sky so I have skied enough good days to not ski at Big Sky on a somewhat crappy day.  So I tell the group I’ll go hike up Beehive Basin again with Brian no problem.  Ryan has his work laptop and has some work to do so he stays in the lodge that day.  Brian and I head off to Beehive Basin.  We park the car, we open up the skibox on top with all our equipment, load up, and head off hiking.  The hike itself to the top takes us about 1 hour, maybe a little bit more.  I think it was more like two hours due to me being out of shape.

We get to the top, set all of our stuff down and sit at the top of the mountain for awhile, then I feel for the keys (Brian drove) and say  “oh Brian, I don’t think I have the keys, you have them?..”  Brian then replies, without checking his pockets, I don’t even know if he comprehended (I do this a lot) what I said “yup, got em!”, and both of us, like the idiots we are, didn’t question it!  Now let me tell you problem number one, Brian and I are really spacey and scatterminded, you never send us off to do anything, not alone and especially not both of us together, the results are bad when it’s anything organizationally related.

We ski back to the car, and brian looks through his pockets.. yes, no keys haha you couldn’t make this stuff up.  We search our back packs, my pockets, the car.. “who had the keys?” We don’t know.. “Did you put them in your pockets? I don’t know”.. let’s retrace our steps, ok, just a mile of snow between here and the top along with another mile of tracks we crossed to ski down.  Brian searches the car, and works on hotwiring the car via the internet (he’s an electrical engineer, how hard could it be? Like his recent power electronics exam, he worked in power electronics, how hard could it be?  I've seen movies... it takes them like 12 seconds... i really thought this was an option)  I hike back up to see if I can come across the keys.  Long story short, nothing and nothing.  We find no keys, we can’t hotwire the car.  We grab our stuff and start hiking up the road on our way out of beehive basin back to Big sky, about 5 miles away.  It’s snowing and there’s already two inches on the pavement.  After a mile a nice family from Maryland gives us a ride to Big Sky. 

We reunite with the rest of the group, and they take the news well, probably cause they’re not surprised that Brian and I would do something so stupid, and they probably blame themselves for letting me and Brian go by ourselves in the first place.  The next few days are a blend of us analyzing schedules for busses and shuttles, calling ex boyfriends (Megan's... not mine or Tom's) for rides, walking, running, hitchhiking, taxis, valet services to the Yellowstone club, jalapeno poppers, steam rooms without steam, phone calls to car dealerships, and much more.  It would take too long to tell but it’s worth hearing so please ask Brian and you’re sure to enjoy it J.   But in the end Brian and I went to Bozeman and got another key made for our car and we made it back to Fargo safely and on time.  Brian and I are engineers, you see, we think critically, we’re good at solving problems… we also usually cause the problems, maybe that’s why we’re good at solving them?? Food for thought..  Thanks for reading, and tune in for next year’s family ski trip, it’s bound to be an exciting one!


It should be noted that we let the car sit in the backcountry of Big Sky for about 3 days.  Prioritizing is important, and our priority was to enjoy the snow that was about to come.  Right after we lost the keys we got a lot of snow.  We skied the Yellowstone Club the next day, which is where billionaires like to ski (seriously... google it), then we skied big sky the next day.  Great skiing!  By the time we got to the car... it looked like this: 

When I got there people were checking out the car wondering if someone had died in an avalanche or something... Nope!  Just a couple people that can't keep track of their keys!  
The whole experience was pretty exciting.  We still don't know who to blame for loosing the keys.  It was probably Tom... but it could also have very well been me.

*We’ve had transmissions blow out, hitchhiked, slept at mechanics shops overnight, had dead batteries, had people fall asleep at the wheel, been rear ended by grey hound busses, had Ski toppers fly off, people throwing up, etc. etc. and etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment